NYC Defenders Call on Albany to Pass Critical Criminal Legal System Reforms Before the Legislative Session Concludes in Early June
(NEW YORK, NY) - The Legal Aid Society, Brooklyn Defender Services, The Bronx Defenders, New York County Defender Services, the Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem and Queens Defenders called on Albany lawmakers to enact a series of critical criminal legal system reforms before session concludes in early June.
These measures include:
• Clean Slate Act – S1553C (Myrie) / A6399A (Cruz)
• Elder Parole – S15 (Hoylman) / A3475 (De La Rosa)
• Fair and Timely Parole – S1415 (Rivera) / A4231 (Weprin)
• Treatment Not Jail Act– S2881B (Ramos) / A8524A (Forrest)
• End Predatory Court Fees – S3979C (Salazar) / A2348B (Niou)
• Promote Pre-Trial Stability and Ensure Judicial Review of Orders of Protection (PromPT Stability Act) – S2832B (Ramos) / A4558B (Quart)
• Secure Due Process Protections and Protect Fundamental Rights to Appellate Review – S1280 and S1281 (Bailey) / A5687 and A5688
View the full press release here.
- Bail & Pre-Trial IncarcerationIn The News
Perspective: It’s Time to Take a Clearer Look at Bail ReformTheft entails “someone going to CVS and taking a bottle of shampoo,” [Yung-Mi] Lee [of Brooklyn Defender Services] explained. “You’re homeless and living on the streets and you go to the CVS and you steal a sandwich in the refrigerator aisle.” Now, theft will be eligible for bail and pre-arraignment detention in certain circumstances.
- Bail & Pre-Trial IncarcerationLetters & Testimonies
BDS Testimony before New York City Council Committee on Criminal Justice regarding Self-Harm and Suicide Prevention in City JailsThe best way for the City to prevent suicide and self-harm in the jails is to stop sending people to Rikers Island and focus on diverting them from the criminal legal system altogether.